Friday, July 1, 2011

Arrival in Greven



By Courtney Arbuckle



All of the girls that I roomed with in the youth hostile in Frankfurt and I woke up later then we expected to today, and actually got out of bed even later. Today we go to Greven! We all had to make sure we were packed and did not forget anything. Then we all had to carry our heavy luggage all the way to the basement and put it in the storage closet while we quickly grabbed something for breakfast. I was able to have some milk, which in Germany tastes more like America's creamer, and some mango juice, which is very popular here, and a little orange juice. I have found that in Germany, they do not really have ice cubes. When everyone was ready to go, we all had our bags back on the first floor, and while Frau Gierke was getting our group checked out, it started to rain, and then it hailed, and then before we left for the bus stop it stopped. All of our rolling suitcases on the stone sidewalks and some of the streets sounded like a herd of horses coming. After arriving at the train station we all got snacks and something to drink quickly before the train came. Most of us fell asleep on the train, it was a long ride from Frankfurt to Münster, where we had to switch trains for a short ride to Greven.When we finally got to Greven, there was a huge mass of host partners, host parents, and then Herr Heinichen. As we cleared the wagon everyone hugged their partner and found their host parents. Then the teachers and parents had to get a lot of pictures with all of the GAPP students together at the train station. When I left with my host partner Sophia and her mom, Eva, we went to the grocery store and the home. All the German at first was very fast to me. While I was unpacking, Sophia's dad, Manfred, got home and I meet him, and Sophia's little sister Hellena had a friend over so I got to meet her and her friend. For supper that night we had pizza with corn on it, and it was actually really good. After dinner, I and Sophia went to the ice cream shop where we meet up with Sophia's friend Anna, and her partner Nikki, who is in my grade and is one of the American GAPPies. we had some really delicious ice cream called spagetti eis. While we were eating our ice cream it started to downpour. I and Nikki's partners live in a town called Reckenfeld, so we are not in Greven, but the distance between the two cities is like going from Stoughton to Oregon.

My host family and I went to Nordkirche Palace in Westfal, the day after I arrived in Greven.

The picture is of the Venus Garden.
Me and Sophia on our way to the palace in Westfeld, after we had been horseback riding.


Me, Sophia, Anna, and Nikki all went Horseback riding the next morning after arriving in Greven.



No comments:

Post a Comment