Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sunday, July 10th: Time With My Host Family

By: Nikki Kreider

Today my day started at about 11 am, my partner Anna and I slept in after a sleepless weekend in Borkum. We ate bread with meat, cheese, nutella, and jam. Then I relaxed for a bit, and got ready for the day. Anna had a tennis match with her Greven team against the Hopsten team. I was excited because I would get to hang with fellow Amerikaner Emma Erickson at the match, her partner Julia also played tennis on the Greven team.

We got everything together and headed off to Greven from Reckenfeld, it's like a district of Greven where my host family lives. Anna's mom dropped her and I off at the tennis courts, and a few minutes later Emma and Julia showed up. Emma and I hung out while our partners played. Anna won her singles match 7-5 and 6-3, and Julia won hers 6-1 and 6-2. Since there are 5 girls on the Greven team, one has to sit out for doubles, and Julia's name got drawn to sit out.

Julia's mom took me, Emma, and Julia into downtown Greven to get some ice cream while the doubles were taking place. I got Spaghetti Eis, which is ice cream shaped like spaghetti with whipped cream in the middle, mine also Erdbeere Soße (strawberry sauce) on it as well. Ice cream is so awesome in Germany. After we finished our ice cream, Taylor, Amber, Zach, Jake, and their partners showed up. So we said our hellos and good byes, and left for the tennis courts. It ended up being that Anna and her doubles partner won 6-0 and 6-2, and the other Greven doubles team also won. So Greven ended up winning the match 6-0.

Anna's mom came and picked us up, but Anna got the keys to drive us home. She's 17, but she can only drive with an adult in the car until she's 18, and she is still getting the hang of the stick-shift car. We arrived at home and got into their living room, and her dad turned on the US game for the FIFA Women's World Cup. I didn't know who the US was playing until he told me Brazil, for those who don't know world soccer, Brazil is most always in the top 3 teams, so they are a hard team to beat.

I play soccer so it was important to me that we win, and I was nervous until I saw the score was 0-1 US. When the game is nearing an end, it got intense. Brazil scored on a PK (Penalty Kick), after a US player got rough in the Goal Box and got a Red Card, which means the US was down a player for the rest of the game. Then the game went into 2 periods of 15 minute overtimes, where Brazil scored yet another goal. At the end of each period, the Referee gives a couple minutes of extra time because of injuries, penalties, or in today's case, a good job of being a Schauspielerin (actress), by a Brazil player pretending to be injured for a good few minutes After this debacle was finished with, the player got a Yellow Card, and a few minutes later, an absolutely amazing goal to tie the game. The US ended up winning the quarter final game in a S.O. (Shoot Out). This game was absolutely amazing to watch with my host family, they wanted the US to win almost as much as I did, especially my host brother Christian, he was yeling at the TV more than I was.

During the game we ate some home-made pizza and after the game me and Anna went outside to kick a soccer ball around in the road in front of their house, which they call Straßenfußball (street soccer). I found out that in Germany there is a plant called Brennesel, and it's covered in tiny thorns. When you touch these thorns you get tiny mosquito-bite like things where the thorns touched, and it makes the area feel really tingly. I found this out after the ball went into a ditch with this plant in it and my hand made contact. Apparently my partner warned me about this. We played a little longer then we went inside and just chilled out eating yogurt, drinking some Salvus Lemonade, and listening to some music.

Tomorrow I have to wake up at 5:45 AM to get ready for our trip to Köln. Now that it is 00:26 (12:26 AM) in Germany I should probably get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment