Friday, July 15, 2011

Friday, July 15: Baseball!

By: Amber Nuon

Friday was an interesting day. By starting the day off like any other one. Get ready, then head to school to our homeroom to talk about anything that seems interesting in particular to us. A few of us were a bit confused when we saw younger students where we ususally meet in the morning. But I guess that they had that reserved and we didn't, for some reason. After we finally found a room to have our discussions, some of the American GAPPies pointed out some feedback on how this school we are visiting is quite different from our school that we are so use too.
First hour seemed to fly by fast, and some of use were volunteered to go and talk to a class about how America is in general, compared to where they are. Then the rest of us had to go and play while teaching some old fashion American baseball/softball, one of those two.

One of the German teachers was dressed up for such a special occasion. With baseball pants, a jersey, and what ever else baseball players wear during a game. It was funny, because it made me laugh and happy at the same time to see how much effort he put into all of this and showed videos on how to play the game to his class. A few students who were doing this video project asked Frau Gierke if they can ask some of us a few questions about our thoughts of their school. So Taylor Tank, Courtney Arbuckle and I went and volunteered.

Us three were asked what we liked about our school, what is different, what we don't like, and
what would we change. And the students told us that they are showing it to a class, so I hope
they can understand my English well, because they asked us to talk in English in their video they
have to represent
Thankfully, my wonderful partner told me to bring a set of sports clothing, because it was really chilly out at the field where we had to walk. I like how some of the buildings that they learn in are at a different location very close by to the school. So changing clothes was definitely worth the while after a good hour or more having fun.

We practiced pitching, throwing, ground balls, and of the necessities to learn how to play a game. There were two teams that got seperated so that each team has half on the Americans on their side to practice a game. Ellyn, Emma, Nikki and I went to the far outfield with the teacher who was dressed up in his baseball outfit, and a nice group of students who participated quite well.

So the 4 of us had to be runners, and there were a few times when some of us, especially me, who slid. Since the grass was wet, I ran and slid into a girl and we both fell. Twas fun falling. So there are some victorious grass stains.

Later on I went home and relaxed in the living room with the mom while she was reading a book, and I was doing this Rosemal from this kit of Hello Kitty, that I'm still making for my partner at the moment. And took a nice nap and ate these delicious potatoe pancakes with applesauce. My partner and I went over to a friends house in the mid-evening for a BBQ. Then a few of us went over to Jordayn's host house and got ready for a party with our partners. It was pretty hilarious when her host dad gave us a prep talk about how we should stick together if we have to go to the bahroom or something, and other stuff that fathers worry about, which was nice of him to do.

We met up with some of the guy GAPPies and had fun dancing the night away with each other. It
was crowded a bit, but we didn't care. We were having so much fun and we later had to leave around
midnight since all of us are under 18. And sorry that I don't have more photos! Friday was pretty hectic
and busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment