On the morning of July 16th, I was woken up before the crack of dawn. Well, okay maybe it was just 5:00 AM, but still. On a Saturday it is very unusual for me to be awake before at least nine, but this day was special. It had been decided that my host partners dad would take my partner, Greta and I, along with another pair of GAPPies, Stephanie and Helena, to Berlin. We were planning on being Berlin City Girls, although not quite like the ones in the song "Berlin City Girl" from Culcha Candela. :)
When we finally arrived in Berlin around 10:00 AM I was well-rested and ready for the day! Our first stop was the Kurfürstendamm...a very long street with many shopping places. But I had a mission there, this street was very important to one of my family members, and I wanted to make sure I got a good picture there.
Stephanie and I posing with on of many Berlin Bears on Kufürstendam (or the Kudamm)
After achieving my goal we all loaded back up in the car and drove to the place where many of Germany's government buildings are located. We saw the place where Germany's chancellor, Angela Merkel, works, as well as many international affairs buildings.
We then started walking around the city in search for a bank. Stephanie and I were planning on buying some things while on our trip...therefore we needed to withdrawal a little cash. Unfortunately many of the banks we found were closed, which was strange because it was just a normal Saturday. On our search for a bank we ran across the Brandenburg Tor -Brandenburg Gate- which is really not something you could miss if you tried. If you think it's huge in pictures...it's even bigger in person! So, we took a break from our little bank quest and stopped to take some pictures with the gate as our background.
Soon after departing from the Brandenburg Tor we went looking, yet again, for a place to withdrawal some money. Somehow we ended up at a memorial site for the Jewish people who suffered or were killed in World War II. It was very nice to see that people really do remember what had happened, and it's good that there are so many memorial sites. It was a gorgeous memorial, the idea was strange, but that's what made it interesting.
Finally, after what seemed like ages of searching, we found a place to withdrawal our money! But we didn't spend much of it because we had previously took a few stops for some souvenirs. Then my partner, Greta, got a call from her dad asking to meet him for lunch. So we hailed a taxi! For the first time ever I got into a taxi...it was an interesting experience. My partner couldn't believe I'd never been in a taxi before.
So, we met Greta's dad for lunch in the Sony Center which is located in the Postdammer Platz. He gave us a brief history of the place while we were waiting for our food to arrive from "Alex's". I learned quite a bit of history that day, and I was really glad that my host family has shared so many historical facts with me.
After eating a delicious meal we decided to go to Checkpoint Charlie, which was the crossing point between East and West Berlin. It was really interesting to see such a huge part of history. I still can't believe I got to witness the things I did.
We then left Checkpoint Charlie and found ourselves a place for a boat tour on the river Spree. We got to see some of Germany's cool architecture, and we got beautiful views of the Berlin Dom. My parnters dad then presented Stephanie and I with these really cool books that had articles from Post-War time. It was amazing and so nice! The boat tour was also very interesting, and the ice cream we got on board was delicious.
No comments:
Post a Comment